Friday, May 28, 2010

For Six Years, I was LOST

Sunday night was the epic ending of LOST, an amazing six years of television. Of course, I had to DVR the finale because I can’t stay awake that late. I have now watched it twice.

LOST was truly an original show. When it first aired in September 2004, I was engrossed from the first night. I’m really glad they decided to do a re-cap show about the entire saga before the actual finale, because there were many things I had forgotten over the years.

One of the best features of the re-cap? Seeing the characters in their first season. Many of those actors were unknown or little known in the United States, other than Matthew Fox (Party of Five, anyone?). They all embraced their roles and totally evolved them into the characters we loved, hated, cried with and cheered for through all of the happenings on that bizarre island. In the finale, we see those fully evolved characters come together in love, which made for a great ending. My favorite moment involved Sun and Jin in the hospital with Juliette confirming their pregnancy. I also really enjoyed the emotional reunion between Charlie and Claire.

While the show was really about the characters, you can’t have a discussion about the show without contemplating all of the mysteries brought forth in the first few seasons. Like the polar bears in season 1. The numbers in season 2. And, of course, the Others. For a long time, I wondered if the island represented Purgatory. And while that may be true, I also think that perhaps the “flash sideways” was Purgatory. I’m also not sure why the candidates were identified by numbers in the first place. If anyone knows that answer, please feel free to share it with me!

For sure, I will miss the show. It was a unique concept that will be challenging to duplicate. It was intriguing, sometimes frustrating, but it was a great hour of television every week. I suppose, given my unanswered questions, I will happily remain forever “lost.”

No comments:

Post a Comment